An apartment in Pasir Ris, Singapore was partially gutted by fire from an e-bike left to charge. (ChannelNewsAsia)

An apartment in Pasir Ris, Singapore was partially gutted by fire from an e-bike left to charge. (ChannelNewsAsia)

A cycling enthusiast who left left his e-bike to charge and left for work, came home to find his apartment gutted by fire recently. Apparently the overheated e-bike battery was the cause of the fire at a flat in Pasir Ris, Singapore.

Andy Nini, 44, told Channel NewsAsia his children – a son and two daughters – managed to flee the fire along with their domestic helper. He got a call that his flat was on fire at about 7pm, and said his mother, sister and neighbour helped take care of his children. His wife, Nancy, a radiography technician, was not at home at the time as well.

“I don’t know what happened to the battery. Suddenly it burst,” adding that it normally takes about five hours to be fully charged.

Mr Nini also said he bought the e-bike secondhand about four to five months ago, and had not modified it.

The Singapore Civil Defence Force said it was alerted to the fire at 6.30pm and that four occupants of the home had safely evacuated by the time its officers arrived at the scene.

Source: Channel News Asia