Kinan Cycling Team’s Marcos Garcia Fernandez kept his calm to clinch a well deserved overall win in the yellow jersey competition after a thrilling final day of racing at the inaugural Tour of Peninsular (ToP).
The 151.4km fifth and final stage from Kuala Lipis to Wangsa Walk was won by Team Sapura Cycling’s Christian Raileanu in 3:19:12s with Mohammadesmaeil Chaichiraghimi (Foolad Mobarakeh Sepahan) and Malaysia National Team’s Sofian Nabil Omar coming in second and third.
“Of course I am very happy to win this tour, especially as this is the first year of the race (ToP). I love racing in Malaysia because the people are nice and they always support us,” said Garcia.
Sofian Nabil was equally delighted with his performance as he delivered Malaysia National Team’s second podium result of the tour after Danieal Haikkal Edy Suhaidee’s third placing in the first stage.
“I attacked from about 60km from the finish and was with a group of three riders along with Raileanu three km from the end. This is a good result for us especially with the Sea Games coming up next.” said Sofian Nabil.
The Tour of Peninsular is Malaysia’s first ever UCI 2.1 category race.
Stage 5 results
- Cristian Raileanu (Team Sapura Cycling) – 3:19:12
- Mohammadesmaeil Chaichiraghimi (Foolad Mobarakeh Sepahan)
- Sofian Nabil Omar Mohd Bakri (Malaysia)
- General Classification’s Yellow Jersey – Marcos Garcia (Kinan Cycling Team)
- Best Sprinter’s Blue Jersey – Rohan Du Plooy (ProTouch)
- King of Mountain’s Red Jersey – Marcos Garcia (Kinan Cycling Team)
- Best Asian Rider’s White Jersey – Igor Chzan (Vino-Astana Motors)
- Best Team – Kinan Cycling Team