AMIRULL DELIVERS THRILLING WIN FOR TSG IN THIRD STAGE OF TOUR OF PENINSULAR
History has been created at the Tour of Peninsular (ToP), with Terengganu Inc. (TSG) Cycling Team clinching first and third place of the podium through Nur Amirull Fakhruddin Mazuki and Harrif Saleh respectively.
Staging an attack from 70km out of 172.7km, Amirull and Taiyuan Miogee Cycling team’s Amir Kolahdouz Hagh (Iran), the duo proved that a small breakaway can outlast the peloton to seal the win in Kuantan, Pahang.
27 year-old Amirull, 27, took the win in 3:49:59s while Amir crossed the finish line a close second. Harrif, like he did in stage two, came in third along with the chasing peloton.
With the win, Amirull clinches three jerseys holding the leader’s yellow jersey, the Best Sprinter’s blue jersey and Best Asian Rider’s white jersey.
Despite being on the same time as Azerbaijan National Team rider Elchin Asadov, Amirull now leads the general classification (yellow jersey) due to his higher finish position.
PGN Road Cycling Team’s Aiman Cahyadi (Indonesia), who took full points in the climb at Srijaya (cat 4) reclaimed the mountain competition (red jersey) from Muhamad Nur Aiman Mohd Zariff (Team Sapura Cycling) who was second at the KOM.
“Our team have been trying to win a stage since the opening day and I guess it was my fate to win it today. At first I was not confident in our chances because it was a long way out and there was only two of us in the breakaway,” said Amirull.
Amirull admitted that tomorrow’s queen stage which starts in Sungai Koyan and ends in Cameron Highlands (89.5km) will be tough but for him but there is still much in it for TSG.
“Obviously, I will try my best to keep the yellow jersey but if I am not able to I will try to hold on to the other two jerseys.”
Team Sapura Cycling’s Christian Raileanu, who is just six seconds behind Amirull, is also expected to put in a strong challenge for the overall title in stage four tomorrow.
Stage 3 Results
- Nur Amirull Fakhruddin (Terengganu Inc. TSG Cycling Team) – 3:49:59
- Amir Kolahdouz Hagh (Taiyuan Miogee Cycling)
- Mohd Harrif Saleh (Terengganu Inc. TSG Cycling Team)
- General Classification’s Yellow Jersey – Nur Amirull Fakhruddin (Terengganu Inc. TSG Cycling Team)
- Best Sprinter’s Blue Jersey – Nur Amirull Fakhruddin (Terengganu Inc. TSG Cycling Team)
- King of Mountain’s Red Jersey – Aiman Cahyadi (PGN Road Cycling Team)
- Best Asian Rider’s White Jersey – Nur Amirull Fakhruddin (Terengganu Inc. TSG Cycling Team)
- Best Team – Team Sapura Cycling and Malaysia